ARC Review: Song of the Current

Author: Sarah Tolcser
Genre: YA Fantasy
Page Length: 373 pages
Publication Date: June 6th, 2017
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Source: Publisher
Goodreads | Amazon
Caroline Oresteia is destined for the river. For generations, her family has been called by the river god, who has guided their wherries on countless voyages throughout the Riverlands. At seventeen, Caro has spent years listening to the water, ready to meet her fate. But the river god hasn’t spoken her name yet—and if he hasn’t by now, there’s a chance he never will.

Caro decides to take her future into her own hands when her father is arrested for refusing to transport a mysterious crate. By agreeing to deliver it in exchange for his release, Caro finds herself caught in a web of politics and lies, with dangerous pirates after the cargo—an arrogant courier with a secret—and without the river god to help her. With so much at stake, Caro must choose between the life she always wanted and the one she never could have imagined for herself.
A book that will set your heart racing with its high stakes, seafaring adventure! Reading this pirate romp was so much fun, and I think fans of Daughter of the Pirate King will enjoy this book.

Caro has spent her entire life on the river with her wherryman father, transporting and smuggling things throughout the interconnecting waterways. When her father is captured for smuggling, Caro bargains for his freedom by agreeing to deliver mysterious cargo. When she discovers pirates are after this cargo and will stop at nothing to retrieve it, she embarks on a cat-and-mouse chase along the river and uncovers dangerous secrets about herself and others.

I love the nonstop action of this book. There is never a dull moment, and I love the pacing of the story. Tolcser's writing is fair, but her true strengthen lies in her main character. She does such a great job building a strong, female main character while also clearly baring her insecurities and fears to us in such a humane fashion. You can't help but love Caro, her stubbornness and bravery while also sympathizing for her and her self doubt. I loved the growth we saw in Caro throughout this book, and I love her attitude and demeanor and how it shifts to the end of the book.

I also really liked the world that Tolcser created. An empire past its former glory, chipped apart as cities and regions secede. Waterways cutting through the land mass like ribbons. Trade and smuggling, both booming industries. The introduction of gods that speak to chosen people. There is so much potential here, and Tolcser did a great job describing and introducing these concepts into her fictional world.

This book includes a classic hate-to-love relationship, and I am so here for it! The banter is hilarious, and I already like where this ship is going. I'm also a fan of the parental relationship with Caro in this book. It's different from most books that I've read, but I love Caro's parents devotion to her and how they constantly surprise her in this book.

I did have some problems with Song of the Current though. So much of this book is so easy to guess. I hated the predictability because it really spoiled my enjoyment over some of the revelation scenes. I can thinking of at least three significant moments off the top of my head that I correctly guessed ahead of time. It really diminished parts of the plot for me. I also got lost in the ship terminology, and I felt like maybe a tad too much time was spent wrapped up in the world of ship vernacular.

Overall I did like this book, and I will most likely read the second book in this two-book series.

Rachel is a teenaged unapologetic fangirl and perfectionist.

She loves reading for the escape it gives from reality and enjoys crying over books, swooning over characters, and laughing out loud over funny lines. She is a semi-recovering Netflix addict and a middle child of three.

You can find her on Twitter @yaperfectionist & Goodreads.

2 comments:

  1. Ugh predictability is THE WORST. I'm still thinking about picking this one up, though. I love the cover and the premise sounds super unique!
    Lovely review, Rachel <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. The romance and banter sound great! It's a pity that the story is quite predictable but otherwise it sounds like a really good read. Will definitely give it a go!

    ReplyDelete

I read, value, and cherish each and every comment. Although I don't have time to respond to most of them, I make every effort to comment back on your blog! :)